As life goes on for most of us, we are continuously plunged into the whirlpool of ever existing worldly things and desires; exit from which becomes next to impossible. We become so attached to all these things and our love for attaining and fulfilling our desires becomes so strong as time goes by that we use up most of our time, energy and efforts in attaining those and forget our main purpose in life as a Muslimah!
What Is Taqwa?
What we forget is that our Creator, our Allah is watching us all the time. He is All Aware and whatever we think, say or howsoever we behave, nothing remains hidden from Him. To constantly fear Him, His apprehension and to remain void of any misconduct fearing that He might be angry with us for doing so, is called Taqwa in the general sense. Attaining Taqwa creates a boundary wall between you and the Hell fire, as a Muttaqeen (the one who has attained Taqwa) will never perform any wrong action or say and unkind words for the fear that Allah may place His wrath over him.
Our Holy Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) has said, “Have Taqwa of Allah wherever you may be, and follow up a bad deed with a good deed which will wipe it out, and behave well towards people” (Tirmidhi).
And what are some ways to acquire Taqwa?
To acquire Taqwa and to become a Muttaqeen is easy yet challenging, for you must have a strong heart and a keen determination to remain on track. Here are ten of the most important ways to acquire Taqwa in your daily life:
- Keep Doing Dhikr and Dua All The Time. Saying and repeating simple Verses from the Quran or the Kalimah or any other Dua’a is easy and can be done at all times, even while working in the kitchen or walking to your kids’ school. This will keep you reminded at all times of His existence.
- Perform all obligations daily, with complete concentration. Performing the obligations is as compulsory as breathing and eating, I think. Do we ever forget or ignore the two activities mentioned? Is there life without it? Similarly, saying Salah five times daily, keeping fasts when Ramadhan comes, giving charity and all performing all other obligations at their due time not only enhances our position in front of Allah but also makes us realize that we are nothing in front of His power and that only He is there who can fulfill our ambitions.
- Perform extra Nawafil whenever you can. This will keep you busy and automatically you will not get time to do any worldly activity that is of no use to you in the Hereafter.
- Read Quran daily, understand it and implement its teachings. Try to read at least a few Verses of the Quran daily, along with its translation and context to give you a better idea of the underlying concept of each part of the Quran. This will also indicate to you in a much better way, each and every teaching in the Quran, the lessons we learn from it and you will be in a better position to implement those teachings in your daily life.
- Read Ahadith and incorporate Sunnah in your life. Nothing can be better than following the Sunnah of the Holy Prophet (PBUH). Begin with the simple Sunnahs that are related to everyday actions and thoughts and then proceed to follow teachings from the Sunnah in all aspects of life.
- Think Positive and Healthy. It is better to acquire positive and constructive thoughts at all times, rather than thinking in a negative way and crushing yourself with fear and anxiety of any petty matter. Filter your thoughts and always think well for yourself and for others.
- Exhibit the best of your manners and control your tongue! The most important factor of all surely, as the tongue is the most powerful organs of our bodies that may lead to our complete destruction. As a Muslimah, you must ensure to behave in the best of manners, remain in the proper code of conduct and think twice before you speak.
- Seek His blessings and ask Him for Forgiveness. Keep doing this and make this a daily habit to supplicate to Him to forgive your sins, and be merciful towards you, your family and your parents. Allah loves those who seek His mercy and He will surely keep you intact on the right path, Insha’ Allah.
- Remember Death more often.. this is how life is going to end for everyone and with life, our worldly pleasures and luxuries will end too. Try to keep reminding yourself that a day will come when you and all this around you will be no more and that this life is just temporary. You are a traveler who has come on a voyage to this world and to your final destination you will soon return. This will keep you away from worldly desires and the show and pomp of many items and rituals present here.
- Aim To Attain Your Purpose In Life and HereAfter. You know that you are striving night and day for providing your family with all kind of support and well being. Remain steadfast in achieving your aim and at all times, act, behave and speak in the righteous way so you may be able to attain your final purpose of having an abode in Jannah in the HereAfter!
About the Author
With a Masters degree in English Literature, Saima Faisal has been working as a freelance writer for several niches including web content creation, academic papers, research work and creative writing for children, since the past two years. A devoted mother of two active kids, Masha’Allah she has also been involved in providing tuition classes to students of various age groups. She has very recently started her own blog at www.randombytesfromlife.com where she writes about random topics surrounding herself.